Ph.D. candidates are typically admitted in the Spring Semester and begin their training in the Fall Semester. Below is a list of milestones to accomplish assuming a start in the Fall. An academic year begins in the Fall (e.g. 2017) and ends in the following Summer (e.g. 2018).
YEAR - 1
Begin PhD research
Take core courses
YEAR - 2
- Finalize EKL in preparation for Comprehensive Exam (by end of Fall)
- Seek approval of EKL from the Comprehensive Exam Committee
- Complete core courses (by end of Spring)
- Take Comprehensive Exam (by end of Summer)
- Have Program of Study approved by the GSC and ACom
- Present Ph.D. proposal to ACom (by end of Summer)
YEAR - 3 to 5
- Complete any additional courses and research
- Defend Ph.D. thesis (by end of Summer year 5)
Below is a schematic view of the timeline.